Edition: November 18, 2009
Rock-n-Roll Exhibition: JASON TEDJASUKMANA
Green Leaves and Guitar Salvation
:: Playlist and song descriptions, handpicked and written by Jason Himself ::
2. Toys in the Attic – Aerosmith
Title track from one of my first albums in junior high. Has been all downhill since.
4. Search & Destroy – Iggy & The Stooges
From the founding father of Detroit’s glorious rock scene.
6. Out on the Weekend – Neil Young
Neil speaking to his generation and many to follow.
7. Radio Free Europe – R.E.M.
From the band that put Athens on the map and created a sound that altered the course of music in the 80s.
9. Love Like Blood – Killing Joke
Buzz-saw guitars that have only gotten fiercer over the years.
10. Kundalini Express – Love and Rockets
Carrying on the early goth spirit only this time in white.
12. Sorry For Laughing – Propaganda
German new wave that made you feel smart while shoegazing.
16. Gardenia – Kyuss
Marks my descent into desert rock.
17. Mach Schau – And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead
Art rock without the pretension.
18. Flower to Hide – Catherine Wheel
A trip into the territory Pink Floyd might have made had they survived.
19. Black Sunshine – White Zombie
Turned metal on its head and blew out my Walkman.
~ Watch the video here
20. We Are the Pigs – Suede
Occupied my headphones for two years in Valencia.
21. Skeleton Key – Buffalo Tom
On the turntable non-stop at my Paris roomate’s flat for months.
23. Stinkfist – Tool
Maynard taking metal way beyond radio-friendly song durations yet impossible to ignore.
24. Knife Party – Deftones
First heard on a trip back to the US and left me stunned in the driveway.
25. Tomorrow – Dark Fog
Rekindled my love affair with psyche rock.
26. Dosa – Koil
A rare live recording from one of my favorite bands in Indonesia.
27. End Under Down – Assemble Head in Sunburst Sound
Psyche rock that may lead me to live one day in San Francisco.
Note: Jason Tedjasukmana is the Indonesia correspondent for Time Asia. The current president of Jakarta Foreign Correspondents Club. Ex-Metro TV news anchor. A freelance writer. A music critic. A deejay—DJ Bodrek, that’s him. And yes, a huge-ass fan of Mark Lanegan.
» If you wanna download the whole playlist please click Rock-n-Roll Exhibition: JASON TEDJASUKMANA
– November 25, 2009: Ayip Matamera (the God of graphic design, ex-Jazz impresario)
– December 02, 2009: Stuart Wilford (The Beat magazine, music critic)
– December 09, 2009: Paulus Panggabean (General Manager of Hard Rock Indonesia, real Hard Rocker)
– December 16, 2009: Jerinx (drummer of Superman Is Dead, Punk Rock prince charming)
– December 23, 2009: Wenz Rawk (Editor of Rolling Stone Indonesia online, m/ metalhead m/)
– December 30, 2009: Aldo Sianturi (Managing Director of Aksara Records)
Boozed, Broozed, and Broken-boned,
*subject to change
The Block Rockin’ Beats
Every Wednesday, 8 – 10 PM
The Beat Radio Plus – Bali, 98.5 FM
120 minutes of cock-melting tunes.
Zero horse shit.
Rad-ass rebel without a pause.
Shut up and slamdance!